Hello Faeries and welcome to another installment of #FairyFriday! This week I thought I would go ahead and share some updates concerning my #MythicMarch projects since one of them is for a fairy costume.
This particular project is taking an old tulle canopy ceiling from what was our bedroom before we switched to a bigger room and re-purposing the fabric into a magical new fairy skirt to frolic about it. I wish I could find a picture of the canopy when it was up on the ceiling, but unfortunately I can’t seem to local one. So then where to start?
Step one: Getting the ceiling down
This was probably one of the hardest parts to getting this project started. We had a friend moving into our home and we were switching to the master bedroom but our new room mate didn’t think the pastel tulle canopy ceiling and floral accents was quite his style so it had to come down. No biggie right? Wrong, sometimes we faeries don’t always have all the tools we need since the human world can be strange and confusing to us as times so it took about 3 days with a screwdriver, and a set of needle nose pliers to use as leverage to pull the nails and get the canopy down. All the while trying to not suffocate through the dust mask as 18 years of dust rained down on me. Don’t worry though I have triple washed the fabric since.
Step two: Taking it apart
Once the canopy was washed and dust free I set to the task of taking it apart. All the tulle had been hot glued to the center ring though which was a bit of a problem so I had to snip each section off one by one and sew them together in their still gathered form so that I didn’t lose the look of the original ceiling. the ring was about the same measurement as my waist so I figured this would be an easy place to start. Boy, was I in for a bit of a surprise. turns out it was still far to large at this point so I had to gather the fabric even more. Lucky for me it was already pretty gathered and tulle is very easy to gather.
Step three: Laying it out
Once it was all gathered and at the right width came the fun part. I pulled out my dress maker dummy and laid it out on the model to see what it was looking like. After taking a look at it finally had an idea of what I was doing.
Step 4: Sewing the panels
The original plan was to just leave it all in loose panels but looking at it, I have decided to attach all the different panels together with a clear thread and I will add pick-ups by hand to give it volume, adding flowers to each pick up. I am also leaving the ends ragged for a semi-feral but still dainty look.
Stay tuned for more updates on this project as the month moves on.